Marriage visa

Free UK Visas Brochure

Home  >  Categories  >  UK Visas >  Marriage visa

Marriage visa


Spouses of UK citizens or permanent residents mainly those with indefinite leave to remain may come to the UK under marriage visa category, and are able to work as soon as a visa is granted.

Spouse will need to meet the following marriage visa requirements:

  1. Have been together for less than four years you are granted a marriage visa for a probationary period of two years. Still married and living together at the end of two years in the UK permanent residence properly known as indefinite leave to remain will usually be granted.
  2. Have been together for four years or more outside the UK will be granted indefinite leave to remain/permanent residence in the UK without having to live in the UK for two years.
  3. The UK citizen or permanent resident must have actually met their non-UK spouse. This is to prevent a situation that occurs sometimes in arranged marriages where the husband and wife have never met.
  4. Must intend to live together permanently with spouse in order to obtain a spouse visa.
  5. Must possess sufficient funds to support family living expenses and those of any dependants without claiming public funds. Public funds cover various benefits paid by the Government if currently looking for work, if on a low income and if in various other situations.
  6. Accommodation for the couple, and any dependants, must be suitable and available.
  7. Spouses seeking to come to the UK on the basis of marriage to a UK national should apply for entry clearance before entering the UK.
  8. Have a visa valid for six months or less in the UK cannot change status to a spouse visa.
  9. Children of the marriage who are under 18 years old are allowed entry to the UK as dependants, and can make their application at the same time as the main applicant.

After a total period of three years in the UK you may apply for UK citizenship.

For more information on applying under this visa category please contact one of our immigration advisors.