Study in New Zealand

Free New Zealand Visas Brochure

Home  >  Categories  >  New Zealand Visas >  Study in New Zealand

New Zealand Student Visa 

Student Visa - FAQ- Click


If you want to study in New Zealand for more than 3 months you will need a New Zealand Student Visa.

A student visa is only valid for the duration of your course in New Zealand and will expire soon after the course finishes.
The requirements for this category of visa are as follows:

  • Applicants must have an offer of a place from a New Zealand education provider;
    • Meet the health and character requirements;
  • Give evidence of enough funds to support yourself (NZ$10,000 per year approximately);
  • Provide proof that you plan to leave New Zealand when you have finished your course of study;
  • Have a passport that is valid for at least three months past the end of your intended stay.

 To get a New Zealand Student Visa you need to have an offer of a place from a New Zealand education provider. This offer must include:

  • the name of the course and the minimum time required for completing it;
  • proof that the course and course provider meet New Zealand's requirements for international students;
  • the cost of the complete course, or if the course is longer than one year, the annual fee;
  • whether you have to pay course fees and whether the fees are domestic or international fees;
    • whether you will be studying full-time or part-time.

Evidence of funds to support yourself

To gain a New Zealand Student Permit you need to show that you are able to meet your living costs during your stay in New Zealand. Evidence of funds may be in the form of cash, travellers' cheques, bank drafts, or a recognised credit card with enough credit. Evidence can include:

  • money held in New Zealand by you, or on your behalf,
  • an undertaking by another person to cover your accommodation and living costs (you need to give this evidence before you leave for New Zealand),
  • an undertaking by a New Zealand sponsor to cover your accommodation and living costs, or
  • financial assistance available to you under aid programmes operated in New Zealand by a government agency.
Working during studies

Students with a valid visa may be able to work if they meet the following conditions:

You are enrolled on a full time course of 6 months or more
You have an IELTS score of 5.0 or higher

Working Holiday Visa

You may work full time or part time for up to 3 months at one company (some select countries enable students to work longer than 3 months in one company.

If you wish to apply under this visa category, please contact one of our student consultants.